- Drink plenty of water the night and morning before you donate.
- Eat breakfast to help keep your blood sugar up.
- Eat iron rich foods for 2 weeks before your appointment; for example, spinach, whole grains, eggs, and beef.
- Avoid fatty foods for twenty-four hours before you donate
- Avoid smoking on the day before donating. You can smoke 3 hours after donation.
- Ask for a blanket if your hands or feet start to feel cold.
- Have a snack after the donation.Rest for a few minutes enjoying your snack before leaving the donation site.
- Eat a meal high in protein after your donation: beef, chicken or legumes are excellent choices.
- You will not be eligible to donate blood if you have consumed alcohol 48 hours before donation.
- Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous exercise for the rest of the day.
- Nervous ? Read this :
- Will I feel tired ?
You will not feel drained or tired if you continue to drink fluids and have a good meal.
- Will I be bedridden for the rest of the day ?
You can resume all your normal activities, though you're asked to refrain.
- Will I be in danger of having low blood ?
If you are verified to donate by the doctor you will still have surplus blood after the donation.
- Ahh - Syringes ! How much will it hurt ?
No, you will not feel any pain.
- Does one feel dizzy after this ?
You will not faint or feel uncomfortable after donating blood.
- Oh My God ! I'll get AIDS !
No! Make sure disposable syringes are used and all measures are taken to keep you germ free.